Monday, June 16, 2008

... My Daddy.

Yesterday was Father’s Day… here is a tribute to my Daddy.

My favorite story with my dad is learning how to drive a stick shift…

It was only a couple weeks after I turned 16. My brother was on a school trip to Washington DC and thought his truck would be safe. But, I wanted to learn. So, one Sunday when we were going out to Grandma Spackman’s, I asked my dad if he would ride with me in Ben’s truck out there and teach me how to drive it. He was a little bit hesitant, but I think he thought it would be somewhat amusing too, so he agreed.
We headed out first, but my mom and sisters were right behind us in the car. I did… okay… a little jerky… but, for it being my first time… it was okay. UNTIL (of course) I had to stop at the ONE hill on Main Street in Logan . My mom had the foresight to stop a couple car lengths behind. I killed it… again, and again… and again. My dad got more, and more… and more frustrated. Finally, he got out of the passenger side, slammed the door, I scooted over, and he drove the rest of the way in silence, while I leaned my head against the window and quietly cried. After we got to Grandma’s house and we both cooled down a little bit, he gave me a big hug and apologized… and… I got whatever I wanted for, like… 5 years after that.

Seriously, though… I know my dad would do anything in the world for me. He has been the most understanding and supportive person in my life. The times I’ve needed him the most, he has always been right there by my side. Although I admit to distancing myself during the more “rebellious” times of my life… I knew he understood what I was going through and knew exactly what to say and when to say it.

I LOVE YOU, DADDY!!!

No comments: